Songs to the Dark Virgin
- Piano and medium or high voice
Lyricist and Source
- Earliest known: November 19, 1939; Memorial Auditorium, Burlington, Vermont; Marian Anderson, contralto; Kosti Vehanen, piano.
- New York: November 29, 1939; Carnegie Hall, New York City; Marian Anderson, contralto; Kosti Vehanen, piano.
- Songs to the Dark Virgin. New York: G. Schirmer, Inc., 1941.
- Patterson, Willis C., ed. Anthology of Art Songs by Black American Composers. New York: E.B. Marks Music Corp., 1977.
- Briscoe, James R., ed. New Historical Anthology of Music by Women. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2004.
- Heard, Richard, ed. 44 Art Songs and Spirituals by Florence Price. Fayetteville, AR: ClarNan Editions, 2015.
- Brown, Rae Linda. The Heart of a Woman: The Life and Music of Florence B. Price. Music in American Life. Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 2020.
- Durrant, Elizabeth. “Chicago Renaissance Women: Black Feminism in the Careers and Songs of Florence Price and Margaret Bonds.” MA thesis, University of North Texas, 2021.
- Green, Mildred Denby. Black Women Composers: A Genesis. Boston: Twayne Publishers, 1983. (Based on the author’s dissertation.)
- Hsieh, Meng-Chieh (Mavis). “A Stylistic and Comparative Analysis of Selected Art Songs by Florence Price and Margaret Bonds.” DMA diss., University of Hartford, 2019.
- Mashego, Shana Thomas. “Music from the Soul of Woman: The influence of the African American Presbyterian and Methodist Traditions on the Classical Compositions of Florence Price and Dorothy Rudd Moore.” DMA diss., University of Arizona, 2010.
- Peters, Penelope. “Deep Rivers: Selected Songs of Florence Price and Margaret Bonds.” Canadian university music review/Revue de musique des universités canadiennes 16 (1995): 74–95.
- Rodriguez, James D. and Gwendolyn Alfred. “A Brief Overview of Selected Art Songs by Black Female Composers for Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced Students.” Journal of Singing 77 (2021): 605–17.
- Shadle, Douglas. “Plus Ça Change: Florence B. Price in the #BlackLivesMatter Era.” NewMusicBox. February 20, 2019.
- Smith, Bethany Jo. “‘Song to the Dark Virgin’: Race and Gender in Five Art Songs of Florence B. Price.” MM thesis, University of Cincinnati, College-Conservatory of Music, 2007.