This website is built in Jekyll with the Ed theme and CETEIcean. The text on this site is written in Markdown or basic HTML. The music incipits are encoded in MEI XML and rendered in the browser with Verovio, a music notation engraving library.
The initial batch of incipits was transcribed by contributors using the open-source notation software, MuseScore. Following review, incipits were exported as MusicXML and then transformed into MEI XML with the Verovio Editor tool.
Data and Code Use
The site is hosted with GitHub Pages. Ed is distributed under an MIT license. CETEIcean is distributed under a BSD 2-Clause “Simplified” License.
Music incipits and MEI XML files on this site are released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License, meaning you are free to:
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
under the following terms:
- Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.